� networking etiquette emerges | Business | postandcourier.com

Stephanie Kahn wanted to bask in her engagement for a few hours before diving into the task of calling aunts, uncles and good friends with the big news. And even before she could call them, she had a surprise party to attend, one that her fiance had set up for their parents and her "closest group of girlfriends."

That party was when Kahn lost control of her news. Some of the guests took photos and were "uploading them on Facebook before I could even post anything," Kahn said from Smyrna, Ga., where she lives. "Of course the next morning I get a couple of calls, text messages from people I didn't call. They found out on Facebook. I think some people were a little upset."

In an age in which instant news and constant life streams from Facebook and Twitter change the way we communicate, the rules of etiquette surrounding these interactions are still evolving.

"We (weren't) going to keep the sex of the baby a secret," she said. "But I don't want to have my cousin find out through Facebook."

True nowadays announcements travel so fast that even close family and friends are bound to be left out of the loop. How often too do we find out that someone is "single" again as her status changes on MySpace?