When I saw the 1987 movie version of Billionaire Boys Club I was convinced that Joe Hunt was the sociopathic ringleader of the BBC, and fully culpable for the murders of Ron Levin (I don't buy that Levin was not murdered and is simply wandering the world - Levin is dead in the same way that Elvis is dead).

But after watching the 2018 movie version, it appears to Dean Karny was the bad apple in the bunch, and he led Joe Hunt down the path of crime and murder. Sure, Joe Hunt and Dean Karny were together in misleading their investors, and running a ponzi scam, but it would appear that Hunt still had a conscience while Karny had none. Karny may in fact have been the instigator here and person most responsible for the murder of Hedayat Eslaminia, the Iranian who was kidnapped and killed by the BBC. As well, it may well be that Hunt went to see Ron Levin on that fateful night in June 1984, not to kill Levin, but to scare him, and his bodyguard Jim Pittman not only fired the shot that killed him (that much, is known for sure), but did it without direction from Hunt.

In any case, Joe Hunt gave up on his own court actions - he really tried with both direct appeals and habeas motions - and is now trying to move for clemency from the California governor. Trying to get signatures on a petition too. Short of clemency, Hunt is stuck in a life without the possibility of parole sentence.

Home - Free Joe Hunt