Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Year's Vegas trip

re: the stock market
    I've been doing this since I was a kid (stock trading and investing). I have a massive long term portfolio, but I also trade extra shares most every day.

If AMZN had dropped lower I would have just averaged in more shares, and held however long it took.

It's not gambling the stock market is a sure thing over time for industry leader stocks, and even my short term trades have a close to 100% success rate. Just stick with trading the top stocks that tend to go up over time. If you want a list, pay me for it, or do your own research.

A friend of mine sold all his stocks at DOW 23.5K just before that massive dip in December 2018. (Actually he didn't own individual stocks, he was in a mutual fund tied directly to the DOW JONES index.) He was crowing about how he got out before it got really bad. He put all his money in a one year CD. I told him that the stock market would recover and that he'd never get back in because after it soared above his exit point, he would be loath to re-buy. I even predicted that we would have a full recovery by March 2019, while he predicted a long and dark recession. He's a professional poker player I should have made him a money bet, but anyway, he was spectacularly wrong and I was right. I've been around so many of these panics and drops, like the one in 2008, to know that buying when the market is down is the right thing to do, definitely not selling.

Anyway see here we are a year later at close to DOW 29K, his CD matured several weeks ago, and he's not going to buy back now because the DOW is almost 5500 points higher than where he sold at, he's done, ruined from investing for the rest of his life unless he swallows his pride and rebuys much higher than what he sold at.

The right time to invest in the stock market...is whenever you have money.

There are spectacular exceptions to the industry leader buy in idea, Soopoo you are right, but for whatever reason, probably just luck, I haven't owned large amounts of the industry leader losers. I did own some JCP for a while, which I did eventually sell at a loss, but a very long time ago, not a huge loss. I also own a very small amount of GE, which I still hold.

Dell, etc: I suppose the reason I never got into PC manufacturers is that I have always been an AAPL user. I did buy MSFT and held it a long time and did very well at it, but eventually sold most all of it and have been holding a huge amount of AAPL since 2006-2007. I love AAPL stock, products, everything about it. So there's one free tip, BUY AND HOLD AAPL. lol

(I was pretty much cut in half on AAPL in 2008, but I did not sell.)

So now I am waiting to see if the host will comp all of her spa charges, which come in around a grand. I put in my case. We shall see.

Until you've traded 1000 - 3000 share blocks of a stock that costs $1000 - $2000. per share, you are not qualified to comment about how other traders might affect what you are doing, let alone laugh.

Even when I try to sell I have to sometimes put the order in at last second, if I leave it up for too long invariably some punk retail or algo jumps in with a .01 lower price. Or ease it in in segments. Same with buy orders, they jump in with a .01 higher price. They line up ta getchya!

Anyway gotta shave eat breakfast and we start packing for the trek across town.

Okay, as Manny said to Scarface,

Do you want to hear some good news, or do you want to hear some good news?

He comp'ed the spa!

Just got the email back.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TI_email.jpg 
Views:	759 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	119

Excited! to be moving to the new resort. Why, I don't know. Just am!

While packing I was thinking about what a chore it is, which, IT IS. But now settled in the new suite and UNpacked, it's all in the past.

Name:	Palms1.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	120

Name:	Palms2.jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	121

Name:	Palms3.jpg 
Views:	833 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	122

Name:	Palms4.jpg 
Views:	814 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	123

Name:	Palms5.jpg 
Views:	832 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	124
    (Took these pics before the bellman delivered our luggage.)
    This suite is about half the size of the TI one, but my wife likes this suite, and the resort itself, more. The last time we were here, they gave us a much bigger suite. Given that CES starts Jan. 6th, this is a pretty good score for a comp'ed suite through CES. We'll be here about a week.

Internet here is free with paid resort fee, which is comp'ed for us anyway;

Name:	Palms_freeINet.jpg 
Views:	789 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	125
    also seems to work better than at TI.

Will get $400. in promo chips, and play something or other, probably Baccarat, with their chips and mine, later tonight, after dinner. I usually don't play on travel arrival days, but this is just an inter-city move not a long distance drive.

One thing nice about this resort is all the different restaurants they have, up there on the level with Wynn/Encore almost.

Ended up not playing yesterday. We went to dinner and then back to room, after a while didn't even feel like going back down. I was a bit shagged and fagged and fashed it having been a night of no small energy expenditure.

The promo chips are $400. I asked for them in all black.

Name:	PalmsPromoChips.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	126
    Of course, 400 is nothing, could go in a blink of an eye, but you never know, they might go somewhere. Once at Harvey's Tahoe, this was back then, they gave me I think it was a few thousand in promo chips but I was playing catch up by that point and they all went nowhere quickly.

Palms has more offers around the corner if we come back soon.

Name:	Palms_promos.jpg 
Views:	782 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	127
    As long as you play and keep up that average bet they keep churning out the offers, win lose or draw. One thing I like about Palms is that when you come in on an offer, yes they give you the offer, but also your host still puts you into the size of suite you are accustomed to versus just the standard room. Now this time, due to that people will start checking in for CES starting Jan. 6th, we got a slightly smaller suite, but we sure didn't get just a standard room.

However at Cosmo, for example, whenever we come in on a promo offer, the host's assistant always says that you must stay in the type of suite (which isn't bad, but not huge) that is tied to the offer, versus the larger suites they give us at other times.

Going to eat, go to gym, hang out in room for a while with wifey again if she is back from the spa by then, maybe eat again, then play later. Never be in a hurry!