Thread: Will chemotherapy help or kill you?

Blog Entries

Default Will chemotherapy help or kill you?

A fairly young friend of mine has Stage IV colon cancer. He neglected treatment and colonoscopies for a long time because he believes that the risks for colon perforation exceeded the benefits of early detection. Now he has had his entire colon removed, and is supposed to start chemotherapy.

He is declining, because he currently is cancer free post-surgery and believes that chemo will kill not cure him.

I told him about how I take about 25 different vitamins and supplements daily, so for me, if I had to undergo chemo, I would do it. Not a stretch for me.

But, no one knows. My dad was always against vitamins. They may do nothing at all. No benefit, no harm, nothing.

There was a story of this martial arts student who walked in on his instructor, who was chowing down a Big Mac. He was shocked that someone who taught such enlightened thinking and martial arts would eat something like that. The student was a strict vegetarian and would eat only sun ripened organic food.

He asked his instructor how he could eat such bad food. The instructor smiled and told him that there was no good or bad food, that it all depended on how you looked at it. Meaning that one person could eat a Big Mac and gain energy and strength from it, and another could eat organic food all day and think himself into illness.

Same instructor when asked by his student if he should take vitamins, told the student, Yes, you should. When asked why, the instructor explained, Because you think you need them.

In other words, mind over matter. I suppose if one is convinced that chemo will kill, taking it may harm more than it should. And so, my friend has refused further treatment, for now.

Blog Entries

This friend of mine died, at the young age of 52, mostly because he did not attend to his health in the past. Actually he committed suicide, quite sad, but it was because he was convinced that it was curtains anyway.