mleus

The only way to write - is to write

Rate this Entry
I've found that the best way to get something down on paper, is to just do it. Write, write, write - regularly.

Each of us has an optimal time when our creative juices are flowing and our writing is sharpest. For me, this is morning - before I attend to the day's work, emails, phone calls - before I do anything much else, even eat breakfast.

But the most important key to writing is to simply set aside the time for it, BEFORE the day's exigencies swallow up your time.

For me - once I get on the internet to attend to something other than writing, before you know it - it's afternoon and my creative juices are already on a downward path.

This is not to say that I cannot write all day long - just that once sidetracked, as it gets late enough in the day, I might end up not writing anything at all.

Even just twenty minutes spent writing something in the A.M. for me translates into a good feeling and better than writing naught. As the Chinese are fond of saying, a journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step. The same may be said of any great piece of writing.

Comments